Sunday, June 28, 2020

Day 96



Let me tell you how yesterday went.......

Just so you understand...My husband is tall; I am not.  My husband is thin; I am not.

There's more...As a surgeon he has become accustomed to having someone next to him, when he's in the operating room,  handing him surgical tools as he needs them.  He doesn't realize that "Home" routines don't work that way.  He still thinks that his projects come with "an assistant".....aka, Marilyn.

On the other hand, I'm the kind of person that prepares before starting a project.  I make sure I have what I need and the amounts of each thing I need and I prep as much as possible before I begin....It makes things go smoother.  And, I expect to work on, and complete, the project on my own without asking for help from anyone.

Let me bring you up to date.

We have a side by side refrigerator and the ice maker has not been working properly. My remedy for fixing it would be to call a repair man and leave an experienced person to deal with and fix the problem.

My husband's remedy is to research the problem on YouTube and to fix it himself.

We discussed the situation. He insisted he could fix it and DID NOT need my help. So, I foolishly agreed. I hoped he was right and could fly solo on this project.

I saw him getting his tools plus a flashlight and a mirror.  I heard him move the refrigerator away from the wall. And he confirmed he had turned the power off. And then he began to fix the problem.  Things seemed to be going well.

About 15 minutes into the job, I heard a cry for help, and that 2 extra hands were needed, ASAP.  Obviously, mine.

I reported to the kitchen, to find him halfway into the freezer right below where the ice cube collector bin had once been.  He had removed it to get better access to the back panel.

He needed help in holding up the heavy motor as he attempted to unscrew the panel holding it up. Translation, I was to reach around him and hold the motor up with my left hand as I shone the flashlight into the work area so he could see the panel.

Remember when I described our bodies?  Well, it's very difficult for a short person with short arms to reach around someone in a very limited space and balance on tip toes as you extend arms further than they were meant to be extended.

After  what seemed like an eternity, but probably only 5 minutes or so, my arms began to tremble and I told him I couldn't hold the heavy motor up any longer.  He said that of course I could.

Well, I couldn't.

I let go of the motor; it hit his head and he reared back in pain.  As he did this,  his foot jerked back, caught my left big toenail and brutally smashed it.

In addition, the screws he was holding fell into a wide tube leading from the freezer to the refrigerator motor.  They are not retrievable.  The fridge motor sounds funny, but it's running.  The ice maker isn't running at all.

Current status?

Anthony has a band-aid on his forehead. My big toe is wrapped and I'm going to be wearing open toed shoes for a while.

The repairman is coming Tuesday with a new ice maker and will check the fridge motor at the same time.

Today is another, and hopefully better,  day.

No comments:

Post a Comment